In May 2017, Microsoft announced the availability of Office 365 Adoption Content Pack in Power BI public preview. The Office 365 Adoption Content Pack allows more visibility in to the usage and adoption of Office 365 service in a tenant. This is very important when it comes to business decision makers to understand if the investment on the cloud platform was worth. While Office 365 does include various usage reports in the admin center, this is a different way of representing the usage in your organization. I wouldn’t go in to explain the differences between the adoption content pack and built-in usage reports as that is not this post is about. You will be able to see what are those by yourself if you followed following steps to enable the adoption content pack and view the dashboard in Power BI.
- Go to Reports -> Usage and find the Office 365 Adoption (Preview) tile.
- Click on Get started, and then slide the switch to On.
- Once enabled, you can close the page.
- Depending on the size of your tenant, it can take 24-48 hours before the data become available for the adoption content pack.
- Once data is ready, you can click on Go to Power BI button or directly sign in to Power BI portal to start the data import process. Make a note of the tenant ID that is in this tile.
- In the Power BI portal, from the Microsoft AppSource, click on Get in the Services tile.
- Scroll until you find Office 365 Adoption Preview.
- Enter the tenant ID found in the Office 365 admin center.
- In the next scree, you need to sign in to your Office 365 tenant.
- Once completed, Power BI will start importing data that was ready by Office 365.
- Once the data is imported, you can use the dashboard to see various chats, graphs, statistics and other analytical data related to your users’ Office 365 adoption.
Play around the dashboard and if you want, you can write custom queries to get specific reports as well.